Programs for Boy and Girl Scouts
Boy and Girl Scout troops are welcome to reserve a school program (minimum payments and reservation requirements still apply) or enjoy a self-guided visit to the museum during regular museum hours. Complimentary copies of our Family History Hunt are available at The Lyceum’s reception desk. Lyceum patches are available for $3 in the museum shop.
How to Schedule a Reserved Program: Contact the Education Coordinator at 703-746-4994 for more information.
Brownies: Her Story: Women in Action – March 17, 2012
This annual special event fulfills the requirements for the “Her Story” Try-It for Brownie Girl Scouts. Brownies will participate in hands-on activities and a service project.
Celebrate women and learn about issues important to women and girls in your community at this special women’s history month event! A panel of former Girl Scouts will share their memories of Girl Scouting and how scouting empowered them. Brownies will learn about the founder of American Girl Scouting Juliette Gordon Low by looking at a timeline of her life. Girls and adults will add their own future goals to the timeline. Alexandria’s Department of Community and Human Services is sponsoring two activity stations to help Brownies learn about important women’s issues.
- At the “Healthy Relationships” station, participants will create a Peace Tree. The positive words participants write on lip and hand cutouts symbolize their commitment not to use hands to hurt or say hurtful things to others. Each troop will be able to take their Peace Tree home with them.
- Girl and adult participants will decorate pink ribbon cutouts at the station where they will learn about Alexandria’s Walk for Breast Cancer. The ribbons are collected to decorate at the Walk.
Brownies and adults will be divided into small groups to visit activity “stations” during this program; larger troops may be subdivided into different groups during the program.
Participants will be asked to bring an item to donate to the Alexandria Domestic Violence Safehouse; a list of suggested items will be provided before the event. In 2011, Her Story participants contributed over 85 pounds of donations!
When: Saturday, March 17, 2012
- Session 1: 1:30 – 2:40pm Online sales are now closed. Limited space may still be available. Please call 703-746-4994 to make a reservation.
- Session 2: 3:00 – 4:10pm Session II is now filled; registration is closed.
Fees: $6 per Scout, $6 per Adult
How to Register: Register online or by calling The Lyceum at 703-746-4994.
Additional Information: Please contact The Lyceum’s Education Coordinator at 703-746-4994.
Seniors, Cadettes, Ambassadors: Volunteer Opportunities
The Lyceum is owned and operated by the City of Alexandria; volunteering will fulfill requirements for Local Government volunteer hours.
Other volunteer opportunities for special events may occur periodically during the year. Contact the Education Coordinator at 703-746-4994 for more information.
Her Story: Women in Action for Brownie Girl Scouts – March 17, 2012
We are looking for Cadette, Senior, and Ambassador Girl Scouts to help with our special event for Brownies, Her Story: Women in Action.
Youth volunteer tasks may include:
- Leading groups of Brownies around Lecture hall to “stations” during each program;
- Assisting presenters as they speak with Brownie Girl Scout groups;
- Helping with simple hands-on activities;
- Helping visitors in museum exhibition galleries and other event support.
How to Volunteer: Contact the Education Coordinator at 703-746-4994 to volunteer or for more information.
Clio’s Kids Summer Camp – July 24-26, 2012
We are looking for Cadette, Senior, and Ambassador Girl Scouts to be Junior Counselors for our summer camp, Clio’s Kids, July 24-26, 2012.
Volunteer tasks may include:
- Assisting campers and staff with activities, such as crafts, snack, and other hands-on activities;
- Helping with set-up and break down of camp activities before, during, and after the camp day;
- Accompanying campers on off-site field trips;
- Participating in counselor training before camp.
The camp day runs 9:00 a.m. to noon; Junior Counselors will arrive early and stay after camp to prepare for and clean up each day.
How to Volunteer: Contact the Education Coordinator at 703-746-4994 for information about how to apply.
Article source: http://alexandriava.gov/historic/lyceum/default.aspx?id=55868&src=rss